Wednesday, May 1, 2013

"Sausage" Country Gravy!!!


Biscuits and Sausage Country Gravy!!!




 I know, I know, this is not on anyone's list of "healthy foods" but let me just say, what is life about if you can't splurge occasionally?!?  This used to be my favorite dish at Bob Evan's when I was a little girl, but even before going vegan I just couldn't allow myself to truly enjoy it knowing that some type of lard and all that junk would be apart of the dish.  So about midway through this winter, my hubby and I had an itching for some good old breakfast comfort food.... and this became a new classic!!!  I found a recipe online, but tweaked the ingredients a bit to make it perfect and that's exactly what it is, Perfect!  I even found its great with rice or part of a casserole, basically you can't go wrong with this!  Even better my kids loved it and by the end of it our bellies were happy and content:)  You can definitely make your own biscuits(more power to you, I have done before and it's worth the extra time), but as I was short on time I ended up using Bisquick (yes its vegan, omg!)... I will post a recipe for biscuits next time, but let's focus on the real star of this dish, the GRAVY!!!

Country Sausage Gravy

2 TBSP.  "butter" Earth Balance
1/2  small onion (diced)
4 TBSP. Flour (use whole wheat or all purpose)
1 package of veggie sausage (8 oz)
1/2 tsp. Maple Syrup
3 cups plant milk
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp. Salt
dash of Bragg's
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Sage
1/2 tsp. Thyme

Melt the "butter" in a saucepan over medium heat, then add the onions and saute until translucent.  Sprinkle in the flour until mixed well and then add the sausage, just enough to brown or heat through.  Pour in the milk slowly and add the syrup, nutritional yeast, bragg's, and seasonings and whisk until well incorporated.  This should be at a medium heat and thicken as you whisk, you want to make sure to do this for at least ten minutes, whisking every so often, so as not to burn and the flour taste to be cooked out.  Then once the gravy covers a spoon and stays put, you are ready to enjoy.  As I said this is great with biscuits, rice, bread, casserole... your imagination is the only limit!! Enjoy!!  It is also great the next day too:)


The gravy should stick on the spoon when you dip it....MMM.. ready to eat...
The kiddos enjoying and soo big since the last time I posted!!! Time is flying:)


No comments:

Post a Comment